Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Questions From The Audience, Part One

Greetings! Today is the day of the week that I try to answer questions and address comments that have come from you, my loyal readers. There were so many questions this week that I decided to divide and conquer. Today I'll spend time answering questions from the ladies...and then next time I'll answer all the great questions from you fellas.



First, April Braswell had asked about how to manage a wardrobe when you are between sizes. I responded to her in the comments, but I'll repeat my answer here, as I get this question from a lot of curious people.

Jennifer responds: Figuring out what to wear in-between sizes can be a challenge. You want to look your very best at all times, but you don't want to buy an entirely new wardrobe every month. However, there is one thing that you can do to stretch your wardrobe without breaking the bank. Try to put the focus of your wardrobe on less structured items (usually sized s-m-l instead of numbers) as these will fit a slightly broader range of sizes. It takes some looking, but there are some really great clothes sized this way. Reward yourself periodically with one or two key structured pieces that really show off your new figure...realizing that you will let these go once you've reached your next size.



Next, Lisa McLellan says, "I'm waiting for you to tackle the issue of finding everything you need or want in your size when you don't have any money. Then when you have some money you can't find a thing you like or at least not in your size."

Jennifer responds: This can be frustrating! Some of it can be helped by strategy, and some of it is plain ol' Murphy's Law. The first thing to do is to organize your wardrobe in such a way that you are never caught in the position of needing something right away. Know that you have enough outfits to carry you through even if something dreadful happens to a piece of clothing and it needs to be replaced. When you seasonally review the contents of your closet, take note of what needs to be purchased, and make a list. Then take your time finding these pieces. This gives you and your wallet some breathing room. Another tip is to discover your fail-safe brands that you can always rely on. This way you can shop online with reasonable confidence...and online shopping is one way to locate sizes that might not be in the stores at the time you go looking.



Lastly, Sue Crutcher asks, "I have to wear many hats during a day (construction worker, holistic health care provider, retreat manager, gardener, gourmet cook, hostess..) what to do...?!?"

Jennifer responds: You are a lady with many talents! When you have so many areas of your life that require different attire, it can be tricky managing your closet. But it can be done. First, you'll need to figure out how much of your time is spent wearing each hat. Then look for the crossover. Can one segment of your wardrobe satisfy more than one area of your lifestyle? If so, that is great! For areas that have no overlap, look at how much of your time is spent doing this activity. If it is a small amount, you really won't need all that much to outfit yourself...and this would be one of the few times I'd recommend a small capsule. What you will probably find is that one part of your life takes the most time...and that is where the largest amount of your closet should be dedicated to. Another thing to consider is maintaining some form of consistency across all your various "looks"... maybe having a signature color or a signature piece of jewelry that you incorporate in some small way into each outfit. Get creative with this...and let me know how it goes!



I hope you enjoyed this week's Q&A. Next week, I'll have answers for Matt, Yann, Aaron and John. Come back tomorrow for a discussion of how an attitude of gratitude can improve the outlook of both you and your closet. See you then...same blog time...same blog channel....



(For more information on creating a wardrobe plan, please visit my website!)

3 comments:

Midlife Dating Expert, Singles Workshop Conference Speaker said...

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for addressing that.

2 things. First, yes, on the practical advise of The Wardrobe, you are absolutely correct, sage, and fabulous. And indeed, when I was racing through sizes (weight loss surgery, fabulous!), that is basically what I did.

I would buy a suit about every OTHER size. And only 1 or 2.

But there is also The Psychological/Mental/Emotional aspect of it.

Of the LETTING GO of an old friend. I had 1 top in particular that was a FABULOUS top on me. Very classy sexy.

I was still THINKING of it that way. I had to wear it a few times to really GET - this is now BAGGY on me, April. It is no longer sexy and fabulous on me.

I had the OPPOSITE false image with that outfit from when I was obese and still SEEING myself smaller (still fabulous) than I was.

Of course, thinking we look fabulous, sexy, and are appealing is ALWAYS the right delusion to have!

Do you encounter the emotional aspects with your clients?

Looking forward to seeing you in Philly this weekend and showing you my SUIT.

hmmm. I wonder what YOU will be wearing!!!

All the best,

April Braswell - Online Dating Coach, Romance Coach

Aaron said...

Good stuff! As you develop your blog, have you considered adding video? I think a splash of color and motion would be cool for your fashion discussions.

Aaron

Midlife Dating Expert, Singles Workshop Conference Speaker said...

Hi Jennifer,

you are always doling out such gems of wardrobe wisdom on how to look our best, whether it is after weight loss surgery or other significant changes.

Indeed, making changes in our wardrobe can have significant implications in our dating and romantic lives which I recommend to my online dating coach singles clients who are looking to get more dates and be successful in romantic relationships.

All the best,

April Braswell

Online Dating Coach, Dating Expert, Relationship Coach, Romance Coaching

Online Dating Sites Review, Internet Dating Sites Guide